SCOTHERN PARISH COUNCIL
A meeting of Scothern Parish Council took place on Wednesday 10th November 2021 at 7.30pm in The Methodist Church, Main Street, Scothern.
Present: Cllrs Mrs C Nicoll (Chair) (CJN), D Canton (DC), R Creaser (RC), J Fotheringham (JLF), Ms J Johnson (JJ) and B Patchett (BP)
In attendance: District Councillor R Waller and County Councillor Mrs S Rawlins
Clerk, Mrs L Richardson
135.21 External Reports
a) Police Update – None received
b) District Councillor Report
- Levelling up fund – Chancellor announced that WLDC would receive £10.3 million of the levelling up fund. There were ten applications from the Midlands. This money will be used to improve and develop towns in the area. Some will also be used to offset costs such as the new leisure centre in Market Rasen.
- Election will take place to fill the Nettleham Ward District Councillor vacancy.
- Guildhall not being used to its full potential – full council meetings being held at Leisure Centre to enable compliance with Covid restrictions.
- Central Lincolnshire Plan – Over 40 comments have been received and these are being analysed and it is hoped this will be in draft format by Summer 2022.
- A purple wheelie bin will be added to WLDC houses from Spring 2022 for paper and cardboard. This is to fit in with the strategy and maintenance recycling plan.
- Population of West Lindsey is 96,618 containing 128 Parishes.
c) County Councillor Report
- Lime Tree paddock – assessed as a passable width, Lincolnshire County Council to further request homeowner to cut hedge back. Full enforcement should be requested.
- Cycle Path – March/April 2022 has been earmarked for maintenance and footpath repairs to take place.
- Dunholme Road – Defect orders are in place for this and will investigate why the potholes are not marked up. LCC Highways advised that work is within guidelines.
- Audit committee took place on Monday to look at the smarter working process – most staff are still working from home, noted plan in place to bring most people back from January onwards as an office/hybrid work pattern.
136.21 Public Session - No public present
Order called: 19:43
137.21 Apologies for Absence - None received
138.21 Declarations of Interest (Pecuniary or Non-Pecuniary): None declared
139.21 Minutes of previous meetings
Notes of the Council Meeting held on 13th October 2021 – to receive, approve and sign as Minutes - proposed Cllr Creaser, seconded Cllr Fotheringham and agreed by all to sign the notes of the last meeting as a true record following the amendments below
- The date of the meeting amended to 13th October 2021
- The date the minutes signed by the Chairman amended to 10th November 2021.
140.21 Update Reports:
- To receive an update regarding the Community Speed Initiative A quote has been received for the purchase of an additional speed sign and accessories totalling £1785.00. This will be discussed at a future meeting. Speed watch – No further sessions have taken place this month, it is a struggle at the minute to get a group of people together at any one time. Request for more volunteers to be advertised in Parish Magazine and on Scothern PC website and Facebook pages. Action : Clerk Speed camera – Figures collated from the signs were reported.
- Playpark – To receive an update on the necessary maintenance to the play area
A budget of £200 was agreed last month to undertake the necessary maintenance of the play area. A quote has now been received for £350. Proposed Cllr Creaser, seconded Cllr Fotheringham and agreed by all to accept this quote from Playdays.
- To receive an update regarding Christmas tree event and the live Advent calendar
The Christmas tree lights have been PAT tested.
The Christmas tree has been ordered for 23rd November 2021, again supplied by the Straw family.
It has been confirmed that the annual school event is taking place on 26th November.
The Clerk reported there are still four numbers left for the Life Advent Calendar – Clerk to ask local businesses if they would like to be involved.
- To receive an update regarding the cancellation on the Multidata broadband at the village hall
The BT line going into the village hall had corroded and has now been repaired.
The router is now out of date and is needs to be replaced. Multidata communicating with WLDC for purchase new router.
District Cllr Waller to follow up with WLDC. Noted, however, that this may now need to be arranged with LCC, if so County Councillor Rawlins to investigate.
- To receive an update regarding drainage issues on Sudbrooke Road
No further update.
141.21 Council Functions
- To discuss and take any necessary action regarding the reinstatement of public transport, including a shopper bus
Following resident feedback, Clerk has requested that a shopper bus be reinstated as soon as possible with a 3-hour time slot for shopping.
No further response has been received. The Clerk to obtain further update.
- To discuss and take any necessary action regarding the Central Lincolnshire Local Plan Review
No update to minute.
- To discuss and take any necessary action regarding the Neighbourhood Plan review
The last meeting was held on 27th October 2021.
An important factor at the minute is the current number of residents.
Luke Brown has identified several policies within the plan that need amending/updating – these will be drafted and put before the review group shortly.
A public consultation will be needed and potentially another referendum.
- To discuss and take any necessary action regarding the Queens Platinum Jubilee Beacons
This was deferred to a future meeting – the Clerk will recirculate the information.
- To confirm with all Councillors acceptance of the Code of Conduct and GDPR Security Compliance Check
All Councillors confirmed receipt of the code of conduct and signed the necessary receipt.
142.21 Financial Matters:
- Current financial statement
Proposed Cllr Canton, seconded Cllr Patchett and agreed by all to accept the current financial statement.
- To discuss and agree the 2022-23 draft budget
Proposed Cllr Fotheringham, seconded Cllr Patchett and agreed by all to submit a provisional precept demand of £32,053.
- To complete and submit the provisional precept demand form for 2022-23 to WLDC
The Clerk will submit the necessary paperwork based on the above resolution.
- To confirm the increase in the Methodist Church room hire fees and to sign the hire agreement
Cllr Mrs Nicoll confirmed the increase of the room hire fee to £24 per meeting. A resolution was passed at the last meeting to accept this increase. Cllr Mrs Nicoll and the Clerk signed the hire agreement.
- To agree a contribution towards resident Christmas lunches
Proposed Cllr Ms Johnson, seconded Cllr Patchett and agreed by all to donate goods to the village Christmas Day meal for residents who may be alone. A budget of £150 was agreed. Cllr Mrs Nicoll will advise supplier.
Action: Cllr Mrs Nicoll
- To receive an update regarding CIL payments due for the development on Dunholme Road
WLDC confirmed that a further payment order has been raised. The Clerk will continue to chase updates.
- Invoices for payment to be agreed
Proposed Cllr Fotheringham, seconded Cllr Ms Johnson and agreed by all to make the following payments:-
Supplier Detail Gross VAT Net
Multidata Broadband 40.12 0.00 40.12
Mrs L Richardson Clerks Salary and 471.53 0.00 471.53
Hallmarque PAT Testing 12.00 0.00 12.00
Royal British Legion Remembrance Wreath 25.00 0.00 25.00
Glendale Grass Cutting and
August 2021 1420.00 236.66 1183.34
September 2021 Figure to be confirmed
October 2021 Figure to be confirmed
Proposed Cllr Mrs Nicoll, seconded Cllr Fotheringham and agreed by all to pay the September and October Glendale invoices when relevant credit notes have been received.
143.21 Highways and Maintenance:-
- Update report
County Councillor Sue Rawlins will arrange a visit by Richard Davies (LCC Executive Councillor Highways) to walk around the village to view the ongoing issues. Cllr Fotheringham requested a Councillor also be present.
- To discuss and take any necessary action regarding an overgrown hedge on Lime Tree Paddock
Enforcement is needed as soon as possible to avoid hedge cutting restrictions. Clerk and County Councillor Mrs Rawlins will continue to chase updates on this matter.
- To discuss and take any necessary action regarding maintenance required to the cycle path on the east side of Sudbrooke Road
This was originally going to be completed in January 2020 and the work has still not been undertaken. This will be discussed at the village meeting as detailed above.
- To discuss and take any necessary action regarding the resurfacing of the footpath on the west side of Sudbrooke Road.
Ellie Baker, Balfour Beatty advised that site visit is due to take place before shortlisting of the scheme is undertaken. Cllrs asked to be part of this site visit if that is possible.
- To discuss and take any necessary action regarding the resurfacing of Dunholme Road and Main Street
Still no marks on the road and therefore the site visit not yet taken place. Cllr Fotheringham requested that the Clerk continue to chase updates.
- To discuss and take any necessary action regarding flooding on Main Street, adjacent to number 23
No update to minute
- To discuss and take any necessary action regarding repairs to culvert on the beck adjacent the war memorial
“Fix my Street” advises that this is being investigated.
- To receive and decide upon quotes for grass cutting, planters and village maintenance
Proposed Cllr Patchett, seconded Cllr Mrs Johnson and agreed by all to accept the quotation from Glendale for the village maintenance and grass cutting contract.
A quote for the village planters not yet received and will be put on the December agenda.
- To receive and decide upon a quote for hedge/tree cutting around the village
Proposed Cllr Fotheringham, seconded Cllr Patchett and agreed by all to accept a quote from Glendale for £795 for various tree and hedge trimming around the village.
- To discuss and take any necessary action regarding the purchase of a seat for the bus shelter on Dunholme Road
Clerk to contact contractor for a quotation to install a bench in the Dunholme Road bus shelter and the Cade Close (Nettleham Road) bus shelter.
- To discuss and take any necessary action regarding Local heritage buildings within the village to submit to Heritage Lincolnshire - no comments to make
- To discuss and submit any comments regarding the Admission Policy on variation to 2022 Admissions Arrangements - no comments to make
- To discuss and submit any comments regarding the Local Transport Plan consultation - no comments to make
145.21 Planning matters: -
- 143731 – 9 Saxon Fields – Planning application for extension to side of garage to form studio – Granted
- 143867 – Land at Dunholme Road (9 St Germain’s Way) – Planning application for change of use of agricultural land to domestic garden area for dwellings on adjacent approved housing development – being variation of condition 2 of planning permission 138433 granted 28 November 2018 – amended plans received to remove easement strip – discuss and submit comments to WLDC – Proposed Cllr Fotheringham, seconded Cllr Canton and agreed by all to support this application.
146.21 Field paths
To discuss any maintenance due to the village fieldpaths (BP)
- fingerpost still needs repairing in Grange Park.
147.21 Reports – to receive update reports:
- Grange Park
- To receive an update regarding work to the boundary trees of Grange Park and Barbers Farm
The Clerk will contact the Farm to advise that work to reduce the width of the remaining conifer trees will take place shortly.
- To receive an update from the working group
Several tree branches have been trimmed.
- Cyclamen to be planted.
- The notice boards need updating
- Looking to purchase a Golden Elm Tree to celebrate the Queens Golden Jubilee.
- Scothern Recreation Centre and Spirit of Scothern – receive update report (JLF)
- Currently £97,000 in bank account.
- Various maintenance has taken place.
- Outside bodies started using the hall again.
- Consultation has taken place on the new building plans.
148.21 Correspondence – for information only
- LALC – Weekly Clerks Newsletters
- WLDC – Planning presentation slides
- Resident email regarding Planning comments made
- WLDC – Electoral figures for 2020 and 2021
- WLDC – Parish precept paperwork for 2022-23
149.21 Next meeting – Wednesday 8th December 2021 at 7.30pm at The Methodist Church, Main Street, Scothern
Meeting closed: 21:57
Signed (Chairman) ………………………………. 8th December 2021