SCOTHERN PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
Notes of the meeting of Scothern Parish Council was held remotely on Wednesday 6th January 2021 at 7.30pm
Present: Councillors Mrs C Nicoll (Chair), D Canton, J Fotheringham, B Patchett and G Wiswould
Also Present: District Councillor Bob Waller and County Councillor Sue Rawlins
In attendance: Clerk, Mrs Laura Richardson
Welcome to the 1st meeting of 2021.
2.21 External Reports
- Police Update, where applicable – No report received
- District Councillor Report – A written report was received from District Councillor Bob Waller. Several conversations have taken place regarding the planning contravention on the Deers Leap development. WLDC planning department is taking this up to ensure that plot 8 is completed as per the granted planning permission. Updates will be shared when available; time scales are unknown due to the COVID-19 restrictions.
- County Councillor Report – Update from Martin Hill, Lincolnshire County Council leader, has been received advising that County Council services will be run as normal as possible, including nurseries, school transport where necessary, highways maintenance and waste removal. Those that are remote learning should contact their schools if they have technology difficulties as laptops etc are available for use during the lockdown.
3.21 Public Session
4.21 Apologies for Absence:
5.21 Declarations of Interest (Pecuniary or Non-Pecuniary):
6.21 Minutes of previous meetings
Notes of the Council Meeting held on 2nd December 2020 – to receive, approve and sign as minutes –
Proposed Cllr Canton, seconded Cllr Fotheringham and agreed by all to sign the notes of the last meeting as a true record.
Proposed Cllr Mrs Nicoll, seconded Cllr Patchett and agreed by all to bring financial matters forward to this point as some agenda items require spending of money reserves that need to be agreed first.
7.21 Financial matters
- Current financial statement
Proposed Cllr Fotheringham, seconded Cllr Canton and agreed by all to accept the current financial statement, including a projected reserve figure for the year ended 31st March 2021. Noted that these figures need scrutiny to confirm accuracy.
- To consider a request for a financial donation from St Germains Church towards costs of the Parish magazine.
Proposed Cllr Wiswould, seconded Cllr Canton and agreed by all to support the Parish Magazine with a single donation of £250 as requested, as long as there is a guarantee that the magazine will continue. Also agreed to propose a joint discussion between the main village contributors to help plan a way forward to secure the magazine’s long-term future. Several suggestions were raised by Councillors for discussion.
- To agree the 2021-22 final budget and final precept demand for completion of the relevant documentation for submission to WLDC
Proposed Cllr Fotheringham, seconded Cllr Canton and agreed by all to submit the final precept demand form to West Lindsey District Council for £26,700.
- Invoices for payment to be agreed
Proposed Cllr Wiswould, seconded Cllr Canton and agreed by all to make the following payments:
Supplier Details Gross VAT Net
Multidata (January) Broadband 38.92 0.00 38.92
Mrs L Richardson Clerks Salary, broadband/
Use of house as office 475.43 0.00 475.43
Glendale Village Maintenance 49.44 8.24 41.20
Welton Parish Council Play Area Inspections 20.00 0.00 20.00
8.21 Update Reports:
- To receive an update regarding the Community Speed Initiative
No sessions have taken place due to the recent lockdown and restrictions in place.
- To receive, discuss and decide quotations for the purchase of a speed indicator sign
Proposed Cllr Canton, seconded Cllr Wiswould and agreed by all to accept a quote from Elan City for £2449.34 for the purchase of 3 solar panel speed signs. This quotation proved to be best value from quotations received. Costs associated to the purchase of posts and brackets at an inclusive cost of £600 to install the signs on were also agreed. Cllr Canton agreed to take delivery of the signs and posts etc.
ACTION: Clerk will confirm the orders with Elan City and the Lincolnshire Road Safety Partnership.
9.21 Council Functions:
- Playpark – To receive and decide upon quotes for maintenance work required to the play area as stated in the annual play area inspection report
Awaiting further quotes for the necessary maintenance required.
- To review the Councils Standing Orders and Financial Regulation Policies
Proposed Cllr Wiswould, seconded Cllr Canton and agreed by all to accept the Standing Orders and Financial Regulations Policies following a review.
- To review the Parish Council Communications policy, to add in a clause that addresses/proof of residency must be included in communication to be put before the Council
Proposed Cllr Wiswould, seconded Cllr Fotheringham and agreed by all to amend the communications policy to include a clause requesting proof of address before items are put before the Council.
ACTION: Clerk to confirm with LALC and make the necessary amendments
- To discuss and take any necessary actions regarding the day of future Parish Council meetings
Proposed Cllr Wiswould, seconded Cllr Fotheringham and agreed by all to move the Parish Council meetings to the second Wednesday of each month from February 2021.
ACTION: Clerk to change Council documentation/calendars to show change of days.
- To discuss and take any necessary action regarding the Census 2021 webinar training session
Proposed Cllr Fotheringham, seconded Cllr Wiswould and agreed by all for Cllr Mrs Nicoll to attend the Census 2021 webinar training session.
ACTION: Clerk to book a space (post meeting note: Cllr Canton has also indicated willingness to attend)
10.21 Highways and Maintenance
- Update report
- Road sweeping has been chased up with WLDC..
- To receive quotes for the shrubbery clearance on The Alders and take any necessary action
Proposed Cllr Fotheringham, seconded Cllr Canton and agreed by all to accept quotation from Glendale for cutting of the vegetation west of The Alders to the adjoining field for £725. A quote to seed this area in the Spring was also accepted for £225.
No work will be undertaken to the silver birch as the Council do not own the tree.
ACTION: Clerk to accept the quotes and advise residents of outcome.
- To receive and decide upon tender quotes for the 2021-22 grass cutting and village maintenance schedules, including the village planters
Proposed Cllr Fotheringham, seconded Cllr Canton and agreed by all to accept the grass cutting and village maintenance contract tenders from Glendale.
Proposed Cllr Fotheringham, seconded Cllr Wiswould and agreed by all to accept the village planter quotes from Rudies Roots. Clerk will request confirmation that this also includes the boxes at the village hall.
- To discuss and take any necessary action regarding heavy good vehicles through the village using Langworth Road
County Councillor Sue Rawlins will take this up on behalf of the Parish Council.
- To discuss and take any necessary action regarding parking issues on The Green
A resident raised an issue of people parking on The Green; and suggests that a seat and planters be placed on The Green. The land is historically part of a green area and therefore Councillors raised no objections to this request.
- To receive an update from 3rd Witham Drainage regarding the clearance of the Beck
3rd Witham Drainage confirmed that the annual clearance took place in September / October 2020. The work was all undertaken by hand and no machinery used this time.
- To receive an update regarding the “widenmypath” initiative
Cllr Fotheringham is still undertaking enquires regarding this.
11.21 Planning matters: -
- To discuss and take any necessary action regarding the planning contravention of the planning application for plot 8 of the Deers Leap, Dunholme Road development
Enforcement will take place to ensure the plot fence boundary is rectified as per the planning application. See District Councillor’s report.
12.21 Field paths
- To discuss any maintenance due to the village field paths
No maintenance currently required
- To receive an update regarding maintenance due to overhanging tree on FFP 1025
Lincolnshire County Council confirmed inspection of site to see what work can be undertaken and who needs to undertake it.
13.21 Reports – to receive update reports:
- Grange Park
- To receive an update from Cllr Mrs Nicoll - reported as below:
- To receive an update regarding supply/installation of new benches – The new benches have arrived and will be installed when the weather and ground conditions improve.
- To receive confirmation of being a finalist for the Co-Op Community Champions initiative
The Clerk will notify residents in the Parish Magazine requesting they vote for us.
- Also noted application made to WLDC Green Spaces Fund.
- Scothern Recreation Centre and Spirit of Scothern – receive update report
Nothing to report as no meetings being held.
14.21 Correspondence – for information only
- LALC – Various newsletters
- Resident – Reasons not to become a Councillor
- WLDC – Green space grants details
- Western Power – Details of works undertaken in the village
- Field Census – Details of online census training
- Playdays – Confirmation of new play area rope
- LCC – Confirmation of website switch over
15.21 Next meeting
- Wednesday 10th February 2021, 7.30pm, to be held remotely via zoom
Meeting closed: 21.32